Haven't Posted in a While

I do apologize for not posting for so long. I just have been busy with school and then had my laptop stolen and so on. One of the reasons I've decided to write today is because mentally I think I've reached a sort of milestone in my life.

It all started with a Facebook post that I was viewing right before my biochemistry exam around 2 weeks ago. For some back story, I live in Canada, and Bell, one of the largest telecommunications companies, runs a mental health campaign every year. My Facebook friend had talked down about it as an unsentimental marketing ploy, a perspective which I completely understand. However, I pointed out that while Bell may be using this as a marketing ploy, they are the only company out there that even acknowledges mental illness as a real issue that affects people.

Oddly, I am not here to talk about Bell, but rather about the fact that that moment was the first moment where I really talked about mental health, and in particular my mental health in a serious manner. Usually around my friends and university peers, I tend to downplay my schizophrenia. I tell them that I'm not disabled because of my schizophrenia itself, but rather because the medication makes me drowsy all the time. And when it comes to grades and other school responsibilities, I compare my abilities to others directly, which makes me feel "dumb", even though I have less time to study due to oversleeping and OCD.

To make matters worse, I was recently going through Quora (my new obsession lately when I'm bored; it is a Q&A site where some people ask the most interesting and hilarious of questions) and found an article about Matthew de Grood, a schizophrenic university student who murdered 5 people at a party during a psychotic episode. After I read that article, I counted my lucky stars that nothing like that has ever happened to me-I just don't know how I would be able to live with myself.

TL;DR, I'm just posting this to say that from now on I'm going to open up more about my own mental health and I hope that it will be an enjoyable read.

Thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Psychiatric Ward

SOS Math

Eight-Year Side Effects